Who We Are
Waste-Free Advocates was founded in 1987 as Recycling Advocates. Today, WFA is one of Oregon’s oldest citizen-based groups dedicated to engaging people in creating a sustainable future through local efforts to minimize over-consumption and waste.
The organization is run by an elected Board of Directors comprised of solid waste professionals, policy activists, local business owners, and dedicated volunteers who are passionate about creating a zero-waste Oregon.
Waste-Free Advocates is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and a proud member of Earth Share Oregon.
What We Do
- Advocate for environmentally sound policies by providing input to city, county, region and state advisory committees, elected officials and staff.
- Serve as a community resource for recycling and waste prevention issues.
- Launch campaigns and engage volunteers in grass-roots efforts to prevent waste.
- Speak at community events, schools and businesses about recycling issues and sponsor speakers at local and regional conferences.
- Teach Master Recycler classes and train volunteers for education and outreach in the community.
- Provide forums to discuss current environmental issues and opportunities to influence policy on these issues.
- Partner with other non-profits with similar missions on projects and events focused on waste reduction and recycling.
- Create a monthly newsletter with original articles on current recycling and sustainability issues; legislative reports; and reduce, reuse and recycle tips.
- Communicate action alerts during the Oregon legislative session geared towards environmentalism.
Get involved with us by volunteering and lending your skills to our organization. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved!